May 25, 2012

We're Having A "Block Party"

So, I've wanted to start or join a quilting group for quite a while, but haven't really known how to do it.  I'm not really in love with the idea of getting together with a group of people and each doing your own thing.  I like everyone getting together around a particular project, or goal.  I, like many others, think of this when I hear the phrase "quilting bee"


Now that's old school!





I've seen online block swaps and that was interesting to me but not exactly what I was looking for either.  So I am thinking of a hybrid group.  A little bit quilty, a little bit Bunco-y, but hopefully lots of fun.  More like this:





Well, maybe not quite, but you get the picture. The idea is this: get a group of 6 and get together once a month at a hostesses' house for a "block party."  The hostess chooses a theme (e.g. all pinks, all florals, purple/orange, stripes/dots - the sky is the limit) and a block.  Each attendee brings 2 fat quarters of the theme fabric.  The hostess will provide any solids that are needed to complete the block and a couple extra fat quarters just in case there are mistakes (with me there always are).


The hostess then picks a block (it would be a good idea to practice said block ahead of time so she can assist anyone who needs help and answer questions).  The hostess provides instructions to the ladies to make 2 blocks during the time allotted.  I'm thinking the evening would go like this:


6:30 - 7:30 - socialize & snack (because who can get together without snacks and a glass of wine)
7:30-8:00 - get block instructions, cut fabric and get machines set up
8:00 - 9:30 - SEW (make 2 blocks).


At the end of the night, everyone gives their blocks to the hostess. And, there is no pressure - if you need to take your blocks home and finish them, no worries! Just get it to the hostess some time in the next week or so.


Then, the hostess can take the blocks and add more blocks if she wants to, add sashing, borders, whatever she likes and finish up a cute quilt.  She can do whatever she wants with the quilt - keep it, gift it, donate it - it's hers to keep.


SOUNDS LIKES FUN,  RIGHT?


I am certain I am not the only girl in the world who's come up with this idea - so does anyone do this already? Suggestions?

We're going to get together the second Tuesday of the month - for June that is the 12th.   Tara, my quilty partner in crime is in. We've got the lovely Boyce/McDaniel ladies in too - can I get any other takers??


Where: My House
When: June 12th, 6:30 - 9:30 p.m.
The theme is going to be: aqua and red!


This is my latest favorite color combination.  As inspiration (you do NOT have to pick from this line, be creative!) you can look at Vintage Modern for what I have in mind.


The block we are going to do is a simple granny square block. Here's an online tutorial from Blue Elephant Stitches that I'll use as a guide.





OK, so that's the concept - let's do it!




3 comments:

  1. At this time it sounds like Expression Engine
    is the top blogging platform out there right now. (from what I've read) Is that what you are using on your blog?

    Here is my web blog: coffee bean reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not my first time to go to see this web page, i am visiting this website dailly and obtain
    pleasant data from here everyday.

    Feel free to surf to my site ... women dress

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi it's me, I am also visiting this website on a regular basis, this web site is really nice and the users are really sharing pleasant thoughts.

    Also visit my blog post - http://www.goldandgoldcoins.com/speedy-methods-in-modcloth-coupon-code/

    ReplyDelete

I really love hearing from you ~ thanks for your comments!

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS